Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 October 2010

First Steps

So what steps have I taken into the world of Chartership?


First Steps

Once I decided to start the Chartership process the first thing I did was attended a 'Building Your Portfolio' workshop. I felt this was a great place to start although it did scare me a bit, there was another school librarian who was talking about her chartership process and once I saw her completed portfolio my first thought was I am never going to be able to produce something like that. Her portfolio was really good, she was really good, you know the type of person you think is great but secretly you are thinking why am I not that good? Well that was me.

Once I got over that and realised the only reason I thought that was because I didn't really know what was expected of me, I read the Chartership handout from the CILIP website. This gave me more of an idea of how to go about my portfoilio and what CILIP expect from me.

I also purchased the book "Building Your Portfolio: The CILIP Guide" by Margaret Watson and actually read it, OK not cover to cover but I plan on reading it more in depth over the course of my chartership and I think it will really help me to look at the examples in the book.

Next Step

My next step was to get a mentor. I knew this would be really important in my whole process and was a bit worried about not getting someone suited to me and my job as a school librarian. I shouldn't of worried (I worry a lot, you will see this as this blog goes on) I have ended up with a great mentor who has a background in school libraries and is very good at encouraging me and reassuring me that I am on the right track.


Once I had my mentor and had read up on the whole process it was time to start the serious work.

No comments:

Post a Comment